French fries are close to the heart for every foodie. Whether you order them from McDonald’s or make them at home, it’s a must-have side that compliments burgers, steaks, and grilled fish! With this French Fry recipe, you can ditch going to McDonalds or ordering in. Stay safe and here’s how you can make and bake it at home.
How to make French fries like McDonald’s?
Here comes a simple McDonald’s French fries recipe:
- Potatoes (red-skinned wafer)–1 kg
- Salt–1 tbsp.
- Oil–as needed for frying
- Water–12 cups or 2.5 liters
- Peel the potatoes. Cut them into slices having a thickness of 7-10mm. Soak them in a bowl full of water. This will help you to remove the extra starch and prevent the potatoes from being gray.
- After this, wash them twice or thrice in running water. Make sure to drain out all the starch.
- Boil some water and add a little salt to it. Add the potato slices and let them simmer for around 7-8 minutes or till the fries become half-cooked.
- Take a clean kitchen towel and arrange the half-cooked slices of potatoes on it. Let the potatoes remain for around 2-3 hours. Dry them till you see skin getting formed on each slice.
- Heat adequate oil in a pan and fry the slices for about 3-5 minutes. This will cook the fries and seal their exterior parts. Drain out the excess oil and place the slices on a wire mesh.
- Avoid keeping the potatoes on a paper towel since moisture may attack the fries making them soggy. Next, freeze the French fries.
- When you want to eat them, heat oil and fry for around 5-7 minutes.
- You can also store the fries for 2-4 hours at room temperature till serving.
FRENCH FRIES SEASONING:
If you are trying to put-together a homemade seasoning , we recommend you try this.
- Salt–1/4 cup
- Garlic powder–1 tbsp.
- Pepper–1/2 tbsp.
- Celery salt–1/2 tsp.
- Paprika–2 tbsp.
- Garlic salt–1 tbsp.
- Parsley–1 tbsp.
- Cayenne – 1 tbsp.
- Combine all these ingredients and mix them thoroughly. Keep the mixture in an air-tight container. You can use a shaker. Fry French fries and sprinkle on them to add some flavor and extra spice.
- While frying French fries, you can use ThermoPro TP03H Instant Read Digital Meat Thermometer. This thermometer with a high-precision sensor and stainless steel probe reads temperature within 3 to 4 seconds and displays the most accurate readings in the minimum time. The item is completely waterproof and also comes with a lock feature and backlight display.
How to bake French fries?
Here is an easy recipe for all the lovers of baked French fries:
- Potato–1 (large)
- Olive oil–1 tbsp.
- Garlic powder–1 tsp.
- Onion powder–1 tsp.
- Paprika–1 tsp.
- Chilli powder–1/2 tsp.
- Preheat your oven to 230°F or 450°F. Slice the potato into thick wedges. Combine olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and chilly powder. Coat the slices nicely with the mixture. Place them on a baking sheet. Bake them in the oven for around 45 minutes or until they turn golden brown and taste crispy.
- When the process of baking the French fries is on, you can use ThermoPro TP08S Wireless Digital Meat Thermometer to ensure that your food is being cooked at the appropriate temperature. This food thermometer can monitor temperature up to a distance of 300 feet.
- The product features stainless steel dual probe. You can also use the thermometer as a kitchen timer. The item has a wide temperature range with high accuracy.
- Oven-baked fries are undoubtedly healthier. They consume less oil than the deep-fried ones. Deep-fried potatoes can absorb a huge amount of oil and at times, can also become very greasy.
- Talking about taste, deep-fried potatoes are much ahead in taste than the baked potatoes. However, they have one drawback. If you do not sprinkle your favorite seasoning just after taking the French fries out of the hot oil, then, the seasoning might not stick to the fries properly.
Tips for frying French fries
You may have come across different tips on how to make McDonald’s French fries. Now, here comes the reasons behind them:
Why soak the potatoes in a cold brine?
When you soak potatoes in cold brine, it will help you remove the starch from the vegetable. As a result, your homemade French fries will be crispier and tastier. The sugar in the cold brine will prevent the potatoes from absorbing too much oil while being fried.
You can either soak the potatoes for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight. The longer the potatoes remain soaked, the better will they taste. As you soak them, it is better to refrigerate them.
Why double fry french fries?
If you wish to get the crispiest French fries, then it is advised that you fry the potatoes twice. Frying the potatoes for the first time will cook them appropriately and soften their core or middle portion. The second round of frying will give you crispiness.
How to store and reheat leftovers
REFRIGERATING: Let all them cool down completely. Keep them inside a freezer and store them in the fridge. Make sure that you remove as much air as possible from the bag. The lesser air is there inside the bag, the better it is.
FREEZING: You can freeze the potatoes on a plate or a baking sheet for an hour. You can also store them in a bag and put it in the freezer.
REHEATING: Preheat your oven to 350°F. Reheat the French fries for about 15 minutes till they become warm and crisp.
Before you begin with a recipe, it is important to know the type of potato that you should choose to make your dish tasty. Choose russets for making the best French fries. This is a mealy potato that has high starch content and low moisture content. Russets are also great if you wish to go for baked potatoes.