Table of Contents
A food thermometer finds out if a food has been properly cooked. Meat thermometers measure the internal temperature of cooked meat. In this article, you will get complete information about the different kinds of food thermometers along with special tips on how to buy and use one.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF FOOD THERMOMETERS YOU SHOULD KNOW
If you are not sure about which thermometer you need, here is a list of the most common food thermometers. You can find these thermometers online simply , browse through all the items listed under the different categories and choose the one you need.
These thermometers are normally inserted around inch into the meat. They are reasonably priced and have a quick response time. However, they cannot be left inside the meat while cooking. A digital meat thermometer is a reliable tool that tells you if the meat has been cooked properly. If you want to know the temperature of some food instantly, then this kind of thermometer is the best pick.
These thermometers give you the accurate temperature of the food in the form of a Bluetooth link that you can access from your smart device. Once your food is properly cooked and ready, the thermometer sends a notification to your phone. While using a Bluetooth meat thermometer, remember to insert it after placing the food on the grill. Another thing, make sure, your phone is in the Bluetooth range in order to get the notification, once the food is ready.
These kinds of food thermometers are excellent as they give the most accurate temperatures. Such a thermometer will help you cook the meat thoroughly and evenly. These thermometers let you track the temperature of foods from a distance. So, there is no need to monitor the grill during the entire cooking time.
These thermometers give temperature readings very quickly. Such a thermometer is a must-have tool if you want to ensure food safety. However, these thermometers cannot be left in the food. These are also great in case you need to check the temperature of liquids. You can also use it for checking the interior temperature when you are roasting chicken or any meat.
Probe thermometers are another variant of food thermometer. These are equipped with a probe that you need to insert into the meat while putting it into the oven. These are generally connected to an outside unit through a heat-resistant wire. You can check the temperature whenever you want just by looking at the unit. These thermometers display temperatures and emit sounds whenever your food is ready.
WHAT IS A SUITABLE MEAT THERMOMETER?
Before moving on to the most appropriate food thermometer, it is important to know about the things that you should consider before buying a meat thermometer. These are the things to consider:
- ACCURACY: If a thermometer is unable to give accurate temperatures, then there is no use in having one. Several foods need exact cooking temperatures. If your thermometer is inaccurate, you may end up cooking foods hotter or colder than the required temperatures.
- SPEED: When you are handling sensitive foods, a thermometer with low speed can spoil them. Generally, electronic thermometers are the fastest. Different things such as the thickness of the probe, quality of circuitry, placement of the food inside, and the distance between the probe to the circuitry affect the speed.
- RANGE: The range of a thermometer finds out if you can measure food temperatures that go beyond the extreme temperatures. If you are looking for a meat thermometer that can read beyond the average range, then you should go for thermometers that are designed to accurately measure more extreme ranges.
- RECORDING: Food thermometers with advanced recording features are essential while roasting meats or smoking meats. Thermometers with recording abilities help you monitor the temperature of the food throughout the cooking process. In case of any problem, such thermometers notify the users so that they can solve it before the food gets ruined.
- RESOLUTION: This is related to the display of a thermometer. Most thermometers can read either to one-tenth or to one-hundredth of a degree. Sometimes, manufacturers use more complicated displays for thermometers having less precision. Thermometers having limited displays show brief information.
- REPRODUCIBILITY: It implies the ability of a thermometer to display the same results every time. This is important since it is connected with the accuracy of a thermometer. If you observe that your thermometer is not reproducing accurate results every time, it is generally due to minute alterations in the probe. In the case of mechanical thermometers, re-calibration can fix this problem.
If you are looking for an efficient meat thermometer, then ThermoPro TP16 Digital Meat Thermometer is the good choice to buy. It is an expert thermometer that easily measures the interior temperature. It comes with a timer that can be set for cooking dishes requiring exactly 10 minutes.