Chili-Rubbed Flank Steak tacos
- 20 oz. Flank Steak
- 1.5 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp. Ground Coffee
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Coconut Sugar (or Regular Sugar)
- 1/2 tsp. Oregano
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
- Soft Corn Tortillas
- Shredded Lettuce
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Chopped Red Onion
- Avocado Slices
- Lime Wedges
1. Prepare the rub by combining all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl and mixing well.
2. Pour half of the spice rub on one side of the flank steak and rub it into the meat. Flip the meat over and do the same on the other side.
3. Press the edges of the meat into the residual rub until all of the meat is covered.
4. Refrigerate the steak for 2-3 hours to let the flavors penetrate the meat.
5. Remove the steak and let it come to room temperature for about 20 minutes.
6. While the steak is resting, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place a seasoned cast iron skillet into it to heat for 15 minutes.
7. When the pan is quite hot, place it on a stovetop burner set to medium heat.
8. Add the olive oil or coconut oil and swirl it around the bottom of the pan.
9. When the oil is bubbling, add the steak to the pan.
10. Allow the steak to sear for 1-2 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the steak.
11. Transfer the pan into the oven until the steak reaches an internal temperature of between 130 and 140 degrees, depending on your preferred level of doneness.
12. Remove the steak from the pan and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
13. Slice the steak thinly against the grain.
14. To make the tacos, use any of your favorite fixings. We like to keep it simple with lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado and a squeeze of lime because it really helps the steak stand out.
15. Stack the steak and fixings on your favorite warmed corn (or wheat) tortillas and enjoy!