- 1 box (18 oz/510 g) of yellow- or orange-colored cake mix
- 1 box (3 1/2 oz/99 g) of instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup (177 mL) of orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup (118 mL) of olive oil, or neutral oil (an orange-infused olive oil is a great substitute)
- 2 tbsp of vodka
- 1⁄2 cup (118 mL) of Galliano or Grand Marnier
- Powdered sugar
Share with your friends!
HOW TO MAKE Italian Hangover Cake
STEP 1: Prepare a Bundt pan. (See below). Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine all ingredients together and pour into the Bundt pan.
STEP 2: Bake for 35-45 minutes or until you hit an internal temperature between 200–205°F (93°C–96°C). See note below.
STEP 3: Allow the cake to cool, then remove from pan and sprinkle it with powdered sugar, or the glaze below.
STEP 4: TO MAKE THE GLAZE Combine 1 ounce of Galliano, 1 ounce of vodka, and 1 ounce of orange juice with the confectioner's sugar and blend until smooth. Add more orange juice to get a thick pouring consistency. Spoon glaze over warm cake. Optional: Add 1 tablespoon of orange zest.
STEP 5: NO-STICK BUNDT PAN PREPARATION Right before adding the batter, grease the pan thoroughly. Use vegetable oil or melted shortening — not butter. Brush the crevices using a pastry brush. Don't forget to grease the center tube.
STEP 6: Sprinkle a coating of granulated sugar or finely ground almond flour into the greased pan before adding the batter. Shake around to coat. Once again, don't forget the center tube.
STEP 7: After baking, gently loosen the edges of the cake and tube with a knife. Let the cake rest for 5 minutes right side up and then 5 minutes upside down. Now release the Bundt pan. If the cake hasn't dropped from the pan onto the rack, give it a few gentle side-to-side jiggles.
NOTES: 1. I use an inexpensive Thermopro thermometer to ensure a moist cake. The toothpick method has given me many overdone, dry cakes. 5-10 minutes before the suggested cooking time is up, insert the thermometer in the middle of the cake (avoiding the bottom of the pan). You are looking for a reading of 200°F–205°F (93°C–96°C).
2. For lighter cakes like angel food cake or sponge cake, the thermometer should measure 205°F–210°F (96°C–99°C). Just be sure to avoid 212°F (100°C), the dry zone!